The sweet, beautiful heat of a habanero makes me smile and sweat as soon as the image of this unique chili appears in my mind. Habaneros have a very distinct flavor and can add a wonderful dimension to most dishes of you want something to give you a nice spicy cleanse of the pores. These little chilies will make you sweat. It’s like going for a little workout, right?
The combination of pineapple, mango, and habanero is quite Caribbean, but I added some white peach to this hot sauce because they have a wonderful flavor and are in season here in Taiwan at the moment. I love this hot sauce because it has a nice sweetness from the pineapple, mango, and peach, but is met with a heat that is gently turned up with each passing second. The heat isn’t too much, but it’s definitely spicy!
Makes about 4 cups
- 1 medium fresh pineapple, cut in chunks
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 white peach, cut into chunks
- 5 habanero peppers, rough chopped (keep the seeds and pith for most heat, remove for less)
- 1 cup water
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Cornstarch slurry- 1 tbls cornstarch, add 2 tbls water
1. Cut all fruit and habaneros and add to food processor. Process until smooth. I did mine in two batches. Once smooth, place in pan and simmer on the stove for about 5 minutes.
2. After about 5 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated.
3. Pass 75% of mixture through a sieve into separate bowl and then add back to original mixture.
4. Heat back up until it begins to simmer and add cornstarch slurry. Stir until mixture thickens. Let cool.
5. Once the hot sauce reaches room temperature, place in bottles or jars.
6. Keep it in the fridge to stay fresh.
- 1 顆中型鳳梨，切塊
- 2 顆熟成芒果，削皮後切塊
- 1 顆白桃子，帶皮切塊
- 5 粒哈瓦那辣椒，大概切碎（但建議先切半將裡面白色的部份與籽取出，斟酌用量，因為你可能會辣哭。）
- 1 杯水
- 2 顆檸檬果汁
- 1 茶匙黑糖
- 1/2 茶匙allspice甘椒粉（我記得很難買到，所以不加也沒關係）
- 1/4 茶匙丁香粉
- 1 茶匙鹽
- 1 小撮肉豆蔻
- 1/4 杯蘋果醋
- 太白粉水- 1 茶匙太白粉混合2 茶匙水